Monday, April 17, 2017

Lawrence Lacks 2017

following quote from David Korn, vice provost for research at Harvard University: “I think people are morally obligated to allow their bits and pieces to be used to advance knowledge to help others. Since everybody benefits, everybody can accept the small risks of having their tissue scraps used in research.”
I am all for this to a certain extent. I understand that if you aren't effected or don't need the cells used for science, by all means use them. I am not opposed to someone using a minor amount of my skin cells if it doesn't hurt me to remove them. I am opposed to when a scientist takes your cells then ends up making serious money off them, then not giving the owner of the cell any money. Even though my mother isn't still alive, my family deserves compensation, hell, we deserve half the money they make, I can guarantee we need it more than them, and just a little money to them would mean a lot to us. The cells have been talked up by all scientists to seem very important, “They’re going to get rid of disease,” he said. “They’re a miracle.” (365). I know her cells have done great things for all sorts of people, that's great, but her cells have only caused my family stress and we do not get compensated for it at all. "If our mother so important to science, why can’t we get health insurance?” (380). All i am asking for is a fraction of the profits made from my mother to help benefit her own family, while her cells benefit other families the money from them should benefit us. I am also certain that the hospital is trying to exploit our entire family as well, “Deborah had warned me that Lawrence was convinced Hopkins was paying me to gather information about the family.” (593). Why doesn't the hospital just compensate us so we don't need to hide from them and they don't need to sneakily collect information about us. I understand the possibility that our cells could be unique as well, but there is no way I'm telling them anything too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment