Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Margaret Gey 2017

Margaret Gey was a scientist and researcher focusing at the time of the book on growing cells. She and her husband Geroge Gey both worked in their lab together though they performed different tasks, "Margaret was cautious and stable, the backbone of the lab," (Skloot 99) while her husband was "an enormous, mischievous, grown-up kid," (Skloot 99) they both were however, innovative and thorough. "Margaret had been trained as a surgical nurse, which meant sterility was her specialty," (Skloot 94) she was the one who was able to maintain the environment of the lab and make sure that no other cells other cells were able to interfere with those of the culture. She taught George the techniques for keeping a totally sterile lab and it was this that was critical to the success of their experiment. She was a pleasant, hardworking person especially in the lab where she "patrolled the lab, arms crossed... if (she) ever smiled, no one could have seen it through her ever-present surgical mask, (Skloot 95). She is a very sensible and thrifty person, for example, she painted the lab herself as theu did not have the money, and she thinks that people should do things for themselves instead of paying other people always to do things you can do yourself.




Tweets
1.) I am cautious but excited about our recent success. It seems we have created the first immortal cells
2.) All the surviving cells are labeled HeLa, they are the cells that can survive anything. I wonder what more we can learn
3.) The cells keeping multiplying at an almost constant pace, but George and I are still cautious. It could still fail
4.) Our assistant Mary has posted about an abstract that I published from George's writings. Thought I should promote it here too
5.) Just spent the day going over sanitary precautions for the lab while Mary and George worked together. Work here is never done  
6.) Due to the ever growing critisizum over our work, I would like to say that we did this for science and discovery  
7.) Some fellow scientists asked for a sample of the cells as they have been doing so well. I'm excited to see what they do  
8.) A man named Rogers called about HeLa, I would appreciate people's respect on this topic, as I do not wish to discuss it  
9.) Some people have come up with the name Helen Lane, I do not know why. This is purely a mistake as no name was to be revealed  
10.) A rumor seems to have spread that Helen Lane is George's creation, I really don't know where that information came from  
11.) It seems new things are being done everyday with cells, I wonder what will come next  
12.) Throughout the controversy, I am still glad to have been a part of the important discovery and the experiment  
13.) I'm glad to hear that you take my procedures seriously. I hope you know that it;s necessary for the success of out experiments
14.) We have seen this type of thing fail before. We do however see that these do seem to be doing well, we just have to wait
15.) We hope that the #cells will help you and many other scientists in the future #science #cooperation

My tweets have an overall positive themes. Like my character in real life, I can cautious about any success and generally not too overexcited. I talked about scientific cooperation and what was happening. The only negative parts were when other people bothered her about the event, because as a lead scientist she was much criticized about her role in the whole discovery. No one as far as I know responded to any of my tweets, However, the person who had my assistant Mary did mention me and I did reply to her however as her point reflected things i wanted to say. 

Quote Position:
I believe that as a scientist I know the need for everyone to see the importance of sharing. When we experiment we provide new insights and knowledge to the entire community. In this way people should be fine with sharing a little of themselves to see this important work take place. A sort of small sacrifice for the good of many, and sacrifice may be too harsh of a word to use at all. For we take only samples, small bits of blood or tissue, usually something that the person will never miss. Then when we take human cells and work with them in my lab, we treat them with respect and make sure not to waste any samples or tissue. We sterilize ourselves and our spaces making sure that everything is how it should be. As it is very important for my personal research and work I do support the use of human tissues. I think that other people should know and recognize the importance of scientific research and advancement.



No comments:

Post a Comment